By Theodore R. Weeks
- Provides a coherent evaluate of Russia's improvement from 1861 via to 1945
- Reflects the most recent scholarship by way of taking a thematic method of Russian background and bridging the ‘revolutionary divide’ of 1917
- Covers political, financial, cultural, and way of life concerns in the course of a interval of significant alterations in Russian history
- Addresses in the course of the range of nationwide teams, cultures, and religions within the Russian Empire and USSR
- Shows how the novel rules followed after 1917 either replaced Russia and perpetuated an financial and political stress that maintains to persuade sleek society
Read Online or Download Across the Revolutionary Divide: Russia and the USSR, 1861-1945 (Blackwell History of Russia) PDF
Similar russian history books
Frozen Tears unfolds the occasions that ended in Germany's army invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941 and explores Germany's improve on Leningrad and the blockade that was once tested opposed to town. This tale examines the lives of the city's population who suffered from the implications of the siege that eventually led to 1944.
Bulgaria is slated to join the ecu Union in 2007, but its heritage is among the least popular within the remainder of the continent. R. J. Crampton presents the following a common creation to this nation on the cross-roads of Christendom and Islam. The textual content and illustrations hint the wealthy and dramatic tale from pre-history, throughout the days whilst Bulgaria was once the centre of a strong medieval empire and the 5 centuries of Ottoman rule, to the cultural renaissance of the 19th century and the political upheavals of the 20 th, upheavals which led Bulgaria into 3 wars.
The arrest of Mikhail Khodorkovsky, the pinnacle of the Yukos oil corporation, in October 2003, was once a key turning element in glossy Russian historical past. From being one of many world's richest and strongest males, Khodorkovsky grew to become Putin’s prisoner. After debatable trials, attracting common foreign condemnation, Khodorkovsky used to be sentenced to 14 years in penal complex.
Outsiders view Russia as an aggressor, yet Russians see themselves as surrounded through enemies, defensively struggling with off invader after invader, or known as upon through heritage to be the savior of Europe, or Christianity, or civilization itself, usually at colossal rate. As Gregory Carleton indicates, conflict is the unifying thread of Russia’s nationwide epic.
- The Soviet Union and the Horn of Africa during the Cold War: Between Ideology and Pragmatism (The Harvard Cold War Studies Book Series)
- La route de la Kolyma (Alpha) (French Edition)
- The Tripolye Culture giant-settlements in Ukraine: Formation, development and decline
- Stalin's Revenge: Operation Bagration and the Annihilation of Army Group Centre
- The Archaeology of Anxiety: The Russian Silver Age and its Legacy (Pitt Russian East European)
- State Service in Sixteenth Century Novgorod: The First Century of the Pomestie System
Additional resources for Across the Revolutionary Divide: Russia and the USSR, 1861-1945 (Blackwell History of Russia)
Across the Revolutionary Divide: Russia and the USSR, 1861-1945 (Blackwell History of Russia) by Theodore R. Weeks